My great friend Danielle has inspired me lately to really be more present with my children and to try to do things that will create a lasting bond with them and great memories down the road. One thing that I started this last week is to take my older two out one-on-one once a month for a treat and a some "interview" time. A time where I just get to talk with my kids, to ask what is going on in their lives and just time to focus on them for a while. The comments during these interviews have been priceless.
From Jayden's interview -
Me: Jay what do you like best about your body?
Jay: Well, I like my heart, and my brain, and my spirit.
Me: Why do you like those things?
Jay: Well, first my brain. I like my brain because it helps me to think of tricky questions. I like my heart because it keeps me alive, and my spirit... well, without my spirit I would be like this (slumps down lifelessly onto the table).
Me: Laughing. Yes, Jay. That sure is true.
Me: What do you like best about the gospel?
Jay: That is helps you to know how to make good choices.
When asked what his favorite things to do with each family member were, these were his responses:
Jay: With Tyler, I like to play in the back yard. I like to hold Chase and make him laugh. He really thinks I'm funny. I like to snuggle with Daddy and go to the movies with him. (Poor guy has only ever been to the movies one-on-one with his Dad once, and it was 3 1/2 years ago. Guess we better make that more of a priority for them!) With Mommy, I like having camp-outs in the living room and watching movies.
When asked if there was anything that is hard for him at school...
Jay: Learning new words is hard because sometimes I don't know what they mean.
Me: Isn't that why you're supposed to learn them?
Jay: Yeah, I guess so.
When asked if there was anything that didn't make him happy at home...
Jay: Well, when I get time outs it makes me pretty sad.
Finally, after asking him lots of questions and having fun listening to his responses, I told Jay that he could just talk to me about whatever he wanted to. His response, "Awesome! Let me tell you about Level 6 on the Star Wars Wii."
I love that boy!
From Tyler's interview -
Me: Tyler, what are some things that you like about your body?
Tyler: I don't know.
Me: Well, do like that you can run fast?
Tyler: Yes. And my spirit too. (I thought it was cute that both boys really valued this about themselves.)
Me: Do you like being a big brother?
Tyler: Yes.
Me: What do you like best?
Tyler: Not stepping on the baby or putting heavy toys on him.
Me: Well, that's good. Do you think we should have another baby someday?
Tyler: Yes. We should have ten babies.
Me: Where would we put all those babies?
Tyler: Well, they could stay under your covers.
Me: Laughing! What do you like to do best with Jayden?
Tyler: Play with his big gun. (Jay just got a new nerf gun for his Birthday.)
Me: What about with Chase.
Tyler: Play with him.
Me: What do you like to do with Daddy?
Tyler: Snuggle with him.
Me: What about with Mommy?
Tyler: Nothing
Me: Well, I guess we'll have to work on that.
Then Tyler got totally distracted by some birds in the parking lot where we were eating our ice creams. And once his attention returned, we were in a deep conversation about how General Grievous is the best fighter on Star Wars. He is such a silly boy. I really loved my time with him.
We also had a family home evening last night about service and people who are hurting around the world. We watched some of a show about the children who have been affected by the earthquake in Haiti. It led to a great conversation with the boys. Jayden decided that our family should try to send some money so that the people there could get food and water. I told Jay that he could choose to spend his video game time helping around the house this week to earn extra money to send. He said that he wanted to fill his piggy bank and then send half of the money to Haiti. Then he thought about it and said, "Well, I need to tithe too." So I explained that he should tithe first, and then take half of what is left to send to Haiti if he wants. I told him that we are blessed if we give back to the Lord first, since everything we have is because of Him. Jayden had the most insightful response. He said, "Yes. We should tithe first. Then we will be blessed and will have even more to give to others." How is it that a seven-year-old can see that so simply and clearly? I have a lot to learn from these kids.
I have loved this extra time with my kids this last week and am grateful to Danielle for sharing books and insight with me that really make me want to do my best as a mom.
3 comments:
Jenn, you truly have very special little boys, and such a beautiful family! What priceless moments you captured!
Those interviews are so cute! You are a great mom! What a great idea to go out with each kid.
Great interviews and I am sure you will treasure these... Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment